Tuesday, March 8, 2011

[Review] G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra Rockslide A.T.A.V.

Note: This review was originally posted at TS118’s Proboards site on August 29, 2009.


As a kid, I grew up with a scant amount of G.I. Joe figures. What's even worse was that I never had any vehicles or playsets except for Destro's Despoiler. I remember taping battle stands onto pieces of cardboard just to give my Joes some mode of transportation. Yup, snowboards. Well, 20 years later, I'm now a G.I. Joe collector, and my Joes no longer need make-shift snowboards. They now have better rides, like this Rockslide All-Terrain Attack Vehicle.

Upon opening the box, we have:

1. The Rockslide All-Terrain Attack Vehicle (no assembly required)
2. A Snow Job figure with his gear (pistol, ski goggles, hood)
3. A sticker sheet
4. An instruction manual
5. Two missiles


The sticker sheet may appear to be missing some of the stickers, but don't worry as those "missing" stickers are already applied on the right side of the Rockslide. I'm not sure if it's just my set, but my sticker sheet is actually missing one sticker. The manual states that there's a sticker that's supposed to be applied near the rear (tail) of the Rockslide, but my sticker sheet doesn't have it.

Let's bring the hammer down on the Rockslide!


The Rockslide is a descendant of the classic Polar Battle Bear. Their function may be the same, but their looks differ a lot. The Rockslide looks very modern compared to the Polar Battle Bear, but it doesn't look futuristic at all. It looks like something that would exist in this era, eventhough the Rise of Cobra continuity exists in the near future.


The Rockslide is a sleek vehicle. I'm a big fan of curves, so the Rockslide suits my taste well. It has a pair of front skis, which can slightly be turned to the left or to the right. Each of the front skis is mounted with a spring-loaded launcher, with an unremovable missile on top. The Rockslide also has front gun turrets poking out on the sides for added firepower.


Being true to the all-terrain tag, the Rockslide features pivoting treads, thanks to a ratchet joint. It's a simple feature, one that can be overlooked, but it's a welcome addition.




The canopy opens to reveal a cockpit. The cockpit can only accomodate one figure, but it is quite spacious. It can even accomodate a figure with a holster on each hip. The included Snow Job figure fits well in the cockpit, even if he has a skirt. I tried putting my ROC Arctic Snake Eyes in, just to simulate the scene in the movie, but the canopy won't shut tightly due to his large hood.


Snow Job, for me, is a dull figure. He is just a repaint of the 25th Anniversary Snow Job, with less accessories. I like the camo on his outfit, but the green sleeves, belt, and (sculpted) harness don't look quite good on the figure.

There is nothing new on this figure except for the paint, and that brings the value of this set down. It would have been nice if Hasbro threw in a unique character instead of Snow Job, as that would have increased this set's appeal.

The Rockslide A.T.A.V., as a set, is good enough. You get a vehicle that was featured in the movie, with some play features, and a dull figure that you can display or throw in your customizing bin. It's ok to get this set for 1000 bucks, but if you have another extra grand, get the ROC Ice Dagger instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...