Wednesday, May 2, 2012

[Acquisitions] Petron Avengers Tumblers


Okay, I guess I'm back for good. I was able to borrow my brother's DSLR camera yesterday and I seized the opportunity by spending the entire night taking photos of my latest toy hauls. I was so busy clicking away that I completely forgot that my new digital camera's due to arrive in two days' time and there was really no need for me to stress myself out trying to take pictures of a lot of stuff in such a short amount of time. Brighter days are here, folks!


So, let's take a closer look at today's featured haul, Petron's limited edition Avengers tumblers! For those who are not based here in the Philippines, Petron is the largest oil refining and marketing company in the country. Coincidentally, I work there as a refinery process technician. To set the record straight though, I didn't get these collectible tumblers for free. Heck, I didn't even get a discount.


Basically, what we have here are just reusable tumblers with action figure-topped lids. The complete set is comprised of four separately-sold tumblers, each featuring one of the big guns of The Avengers (Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, and Hulk). Each tumbler showcases a specific hero's name and giant mug on the front and its corresponding action figure on top. The lids function as display stands for the removable figs but to be quite honest, they tend to take up too much space.


Yes, the tumblers look nice but the real stars of this set are the action figures. For simple promotional items, these things certainly don't look cheap. The figures are loaded with sculpted details and they get good paint apps too! Each figure also get a unique action feature and even though I don't like having action features on my toys, I have no complaints here.


The best toy from the bunch is definitely that of Cap's. The First Avenger moves at the neck and right shoulder and by turning a lever at the fig's back, the shield spins. The shield is removable and it actually doubles as a top. Hulk ranks a close second for being the heaviest figure among the four. The fig can only move at the waist but you can simulate the green monster's trademark smash by pulling down a lever at the figure's back. Thor secures the third seed but as a piece of advice, don't let the rankings fool you. The fig gets the most amount of sculpted details and paint apps, though the face doesn't resemble Chris Hemsworth one bit. Thor moves at the left shoulder and by lifting and locking his right arm up and pressing the button at the fig's back, the God of Thunder throws his hammer, Mjolnir, a short distance forward. Sadly, the worst fig from this set happens to be that of Iron Man's. The fig is molded in light red plastic and it just looks dull. The Armored Avenger moves at the right shoulder and when you press the button at the fig's back, a light-emitting diode (LED) lights up inside, simulating a glowing arc reactor. Simultaneously, the fig raises its left arm forward as if firing a palm repulsor.


To sweeten the deal, each tumbler comes packaged in a collector-friendly box. The boxes are identical except for having character-specific nameplates and icons. An image showing the four heroes encompasses each box and by placing the boxes side-by-side with each box front facing a different direction, the same image can be formed. There's also an instruction manual on how to utilize the action feature of a specific figure located  at the underside of the top flap of each box. Additionally, another flap at the top of the box provides a short character bio and a spot to write down the collector's/owner's name, cool!


Technically, one of these tumblers can be snagged for 60 PHP (1.40 USD) by filling up 1000 PHP (23 USD) worth of fuel. Luckily, personnel at the various Petron gasoline stations near our place don't give a damn about the promo mechanics at all. In fact, I was able to purchase four sets (yup, sixteen tumblers) without buying a single drop of fuel! I gave two sets to my brother and kept two sets for myself so, no, you can't call me a hoarder. Speaking of hoarders, some people are actually peddling these tumblers for 800-1000 PHP (18-23 USD) a set! I guess that fact alone speaks volumes on how good these tumblers are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...